There are a few ways you can find local tradesmen who specialize in green building and energy efficiency:
- Search online directories and websites that connect homeowners with contractors, such as HomeAdvisor, Thumbtack, and Green Builder. These sites often have filters that allow you to search for contractors who specialize in green building.
- Contact local green building organizations or associations, such as the US Green Building Council or the National Association of Home Builders, and ask for recommendations.
- Ask friends, family, and neighbors for recommendations. Word-of-mouth can be a great way to find reliable contractors.
- Check with local building supply stores and ask for recommendations. The staff at these stores often have a good understanding of who the reliable contractors are in the area.
- Look for contractors who have certifications, such as LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) or Energy Star, as these certifications demonstrate a commitment to green building practices.
Regardless of how you find a contractor, be sure to do your research and get multiple estimates before hiring anyone to work on your home.